Fall Spice Beet Juice
We know, juicing sounds like an intimidating project. For years, our gigantic electric juicer sat in a very dark corner of the cabinet, making the (very) occasional appearance on a Sunday morning in the depths of winter, when there was really nothing better to do but make a glass of homemade orange juice. A few months ago, we decided to give it another try, putting aside all technical frustrations (i.e. attempting to adequately clean all 10 parts after each use). Alas, we discovered that homemade juice is not only tastier than store-bought alternatives, but also far cheaper & much easier to customize. Now, it’s safe to say we’re obsessed.
If you don’t have a juicer, there’s an easy fix. Simply blend all ingredients in high speed blender and then pour over a fine mesh strainer to separate the juice from the pulp. Although we typically prefer smoothies over juice (smoothies retain more nutrients from using the entire fruit/vegetable), homemade juice is much easier to make ahead of time in large batches for rushed mornings or a quick afternoon snack.
The key to a delicious & interesting juice is adding spices in addition to fruits and veggies. Our fall spiced beet juice combines beets, strawberries, cranberries, fresh turmeric and ginger, and Heart Greens, a delicious blend from our friends at HumanN that contains the dietary nitrate equivalent of 5 servings a vegetables in one small scoop! That’s right, 5 servings! We love it & use it in almost every smoothie/juice for an extra nutrient boost.
This is the perfect juice to help with inflammation or to aid in recovery after a long or difficult workout! The beets, Heart Greens, cinnamon, and tart cherry extract all possess natural anti-inflammatory agents, and this juice is loaded with antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
Whether you use a blender or a juicer, we suggest you make a big batch of this juice today to last you the entire week!
- 1/2 red beet
- 10 medium-large strawberries
- 1 whole pear
- 3 carrots
- 1/2-3/4 inch chunk fresh ginger
- 1/2 inch chunk fresh turmeric
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 scoop (2 tsp) Heart Greens
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp tart cherry concentrate
- Put beets, strawberries, pear, carrots, ginger, turmeric & cranberries in juicer.
- (One note with cranberries: turn off the juicer, then add the cranberries, and then put your plunger/pusher device in before turning back on or you will have cranberries flying all over you kitchen!)
- Add lemon juice, Heart Greens, cinnamon, pinch of sea salt, and tart cherry extract and whisk into juice mixture until well blended.
- Place everything in blender and blend until smooth. You may want to grate the ginger and turmeric into the blender before blending to better incorporate the flavor.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a bowl and pour the juice over.
- Let juice strain into bowl for 10 or so minutes.
- Store in refrigerator in covered container for 3-5 days.