Holiday Chia Parfait
If you are looking for a festive and healthy holiday breakfast parfait, we’ve got you covered! You could have this for breakfast, a healthy snack, or dessert (and, you’ll even sneak in a few extra servings of veggies & probiotics in the process). We sometimes find it difficult to eat healthy during the holiday season when everything is crazy busy & there are tempting sweets everywhere. The key to making sure you don’t overindulge? Call the neighbors and “give them” your extras. Sneaky, I know. But hey, those are the struggles of being a food blogger!
In all seriousness, it’s even more important at this time of year to make sure you start the day with a healthy breakfast with a nice balance of fats, proteins, and carbs. You can make it more enjoyable by adding a festive color scheme, like we did here.
During this photo shoot, I wanted to dust the tops of the parfaits with this new product I ordered from Blue Chai Teas. It’s a natural food powder made from raspberries. Apparently I need a much smaller mesh colander as you can see that I had a bit of a raspberry powder explosion!
Thank goodness the “sous chef” I mentioned in yesterday’s post (aka Cody, the 2 year old lab) was not hovering below or I would have had a hot pink dusted black lab who would have been trying to frantically lick himself clean! Honestly, it actually added a cool effect to the picture, so not that mad about it, just bummed I wasted 1/4 of the tube!
I’m going to visit the other half of Superfood Runner (Lexi) in NYC tomorrow with my husband, Todd, and oldest son, Travis! I cannot wait! It will be so much fun! We are going to the Rockettes Christmas Show at Radio City, have some great dinner reservations, will do a little shopping, and will just have a great time in general! Have a healthy and happy weekend everyone!!
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp of kombucha
- 1/3 cup frozen raspberries
- 1/4 cup cranberries
- 8 frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp tart cherry extract
- 3/4 tsp beetroot powder
- 1/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- *If you would like this a little sweeter, add 1-2 tsp of liquid sweetener such as maple syrup, agave, or honey.
- 1 ripe banana
- 1/2 cup frozen pineapple
- 6 oz maple or coconut water
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp Heart Greens powder from @HumanN
- 3/4 tsp chlorella powder
- 1/4 + 1/8 tsp ginger powder
- pinch of sea salt
- *If you would like this a little sweeter, then add 1-2 tsp of liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or agave.
- 1/2 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp sprouted pepita seeds
- 2 tbsp Puffed Millet Cereal
- Protein Bar (optional)
- Let frozen berries thaw at room temp.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a bowl and add 4 tbsp of chia seeds.
- Stir well to prevent clumping.
- Stir again after 5 minutes and let mixture sit for 30 minutes to thicken.
- Makes about 8 oz of puree.
- Follow the same procedure as the Berry Puree.
- If you want to only use a cup of the red puree, you could set aside 3 oz of the puree and save it for your next smoothie and just add some protein powder and greens!
- The bottom of the parfait has sprouted pepita seeds.
- In the middle, we used a layer of Puffed Millet cereal.
- The other layer was a chopped up Cacao and Tart Cranberry bar from @navitasnaturals.
- The key is to add some texture!
- Make it your own and enjoy for breakfast, a snack, or a dessert!
- Makes 4 5 oz parfaits with 2 chia purees and yogurt.
- Your toppings will add volume, so use an 8-10 oz glass to make sure you have enough room for layers depending on how much you want in between your purees and yogurt.