Happy Holidays! Between all the Christmas cookies, we’re bringing you an equally delicious and festive alternative: chocolate mousse! The mousse has an avocado base- believe us, you can’t taste the avocado at all- with rich cacao powder, coconut milk, maple syrup & vanilla. Even the boys in our family love this, and they are often extremely suspicious of our superfood concoctions.
Because one flavor wasn’t enough, we made two different versions of this holiday mousse so you have some choices. The first flavor is chocolate matcha, with a bit of matcha added into the mousse, and a matcha coconut whipped cream that really puts this dessert over the top. Matcha and chocolate are an excellent combination, and pomegranate seeds add that perfect crunch factor.
However, because not everybody loves matcha as much as we do, we also decided on a peppermint chocolate version, because duh, it’s Christmas. We simply used our regular chocolate mousse base, and then topped with vanilla bean coconut whipped cream and crushed candy cane.
This dessert is especially perfect for large groups of people. Seriously, all you have to do is blend a few ingredients in your blender or food processor, whip the cream, and assemble in cute jars. So easy! It takes about 15-20 mins total, and you can easily double or triple the recipe.
Best part? Nobody will know that it’s secretly healthy 😉
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3-1/2 cup cacao powder, depending on how rich you prefer
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Same ingredients as above, plus 2 tsp high quality matcha powder
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- 1/3-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Same ingredients as above, plus 1 tsp high quality matcha powder
- Pomegranate seeds
- Crushed candy canes
- Simply combine ingredients into blender and blend until completely smooth and creamy.
- You may also use a food processor.
- If making matcha version, add matcha powder.
- If making both, blend base, remove half and place in container, and then add matcha powder in other half.
- Refrigerate can of full fat coconut milk overnight without shaking contents.
- Open can and remove top layer of solid cream. (Do not use liquid below)
- Place in medium mixing bowl with powdered sugar and vanilla and whip with hand or bowl mixer for 30-60 seconds, or until no lumps remain.
- If making matcha version, simply add matcha powder.
- Scoop chocolate mousse into small containers (you don't need a lot per person- it's very rich!)
- Top with large dollop of desired flavor of whipped cream.
- Sprinkle with pomegranate or crushed candy canes and serve.