Creamy Golden Mac & Cheeze
Mac and cheese has always been a family favorite in our house. Grandma’s version was loaded with four types of cheese, heavy cream, breadcrumbs, butter, and essentially the polar opposite of anything we eat nowadays. We really wanted to recreate a vegan version of this comforting classic, and guys, honestly, it’s SO GOOD.
We’ve been wanting to try this for a while, and it most definitely did not disappoint. I mean, just look at the creaminess of that sauce! We demolished both of these bowls within moments after finishing this photograph, and we promise you will too.
The sauce is incredibly easy to make. Simply soak cashews for 1-2 hours in advance, and then blend with nutritional yeast & a few other ingredients and spices. Cook your pasta, pour the sauce, stir everything up and top with toasted almonds, nutritional yeast and gomasio and you’re good to go! Dinner on the table in roughly 20 minutes.
If you’re wondering what gomasio is (we didn’t know about it either until a few weeks ago) it is a delicious savory condiment typically made from sesame seeds and salt. Our IG friend and talented blogger Nancy Partington of Urban Kitchen Apothecary hand makes small batches of gomasio in a range of different flavors. We have seen it around Instagram and knew we had to get our hands on some, so we ordered a big batch a few weeks ago and have been using it on everything! Do yourself a favor and go here to order some.
This mac and cheeze is best eaten on a cold, wintery night while wrapped in a blanket next to a roaring fire. You’re welcome.
- 2 cups, presoaked cashews (soak for 1-2 hours)
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 pinches cayenne
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 4 cups gluten free pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp gomasio
- pinch of sea salt
- Cook gluten free pasta according to directions on packaging.
- Drain soaked cashews.
- While pasta is cooking, blend soaked cashews, water, olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, paprika, salt, cayenne, pepper and turmeric until completely smooth and creamy.
- Drain pasta and gently fold sauce into pasta until well coated.
- In a small pan, lightly toast chopped almonds, nutritional yeast, gomasio and sea salt on stove over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent burning.
- Spoon pasta into separate bowls.
- Sprinkle topping over pasta and enjoy!