Savory Beet Crepes with Caramelized Onions, Kale, Lentils & Dill Yogurt Sauce
Crepes aren’t just for breakfast…and they don’t have to be sweet! Roll up a few savory crepes for lunch, packed with plenty of veggies and drizzled with a tangy vegan dill yogurt sauce.
In an effort to bring some more savory recipes to the table, we’ve developed a recipe that’s inspired by one of our favorite sweet dishes (of course): crepes! These thin & spongy crepes are made gluten free with chickpea flour and get their vibrant hue from Love Beets Beetroot Powder.
After trying out a few different flavor combinations, I happened upon this dill yogurt sauce, and let me tell you, it is AMAZING. I accidentally purchased two giant bunches of dill from Fresh Direct (seriously, I’ve used dill now for 6 days in a row and still have more than half left over), so I’ve been trying to incorporate it into every meal. I recently picked up some plain almond milk yogurt, which is a bit too tangy to eat alone, but perfect for making sauces and dips. I chopped up a bunch of dill, added a generous squeeze of lemon, a bit of roasted garlic and salt & pepper and voilà! Dill yogurt sauce perfection.
The best part about this recipe? It’s a completely balanced meal. Plenty of carbs & fiber from the crepes, lots of nutrient-dense veggies, protein-packed lentils, healthy fats from avocado, and even some probiotics from the yogurt. What more could you ask for in a plant-based meal?
Beets are one of the best superfoods out there. We first became hooked on beets after reading about how they promote muscle recovery and enhance athletic performance, specifically endurance sports like running. (You can read more about that here.)
Beets are also rich in phytonutrients, antioxidants, B vitamin folate, and more. One of our favorite ways to incorporate beets into our daily regimen is beet juice, which is easy to add to smoothies or drink on it’s own. We also love beet powder, which we add to a wide range of recipes, including these crepes!
In case you haven’t heard of Love Beets, they are pioneers in the beet industry, selling organic beet juices, beet powder, pre-packaged cooked beets, baby beets, shredded beets, you name it. Basically, they’re making it that much easier for you to add these nutrient-dense gems into your diet!
Ready to kick up your lunch a notch?
- 1 1/4 cup chickpea (garbanzo) bean flour
- 2 tbsp Love Beets Beetroot Powder
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened rice milk or filtered water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Optional: 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 cup plain nondairy yogurt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 lemon squeezed
- 2 cloves roasted garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium white onion
- 2 leaves kale, torn into smaller pieces
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/2 avocado
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Heat a skillet or pan to medium and coat lightly with oil.
- Add about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter and swirl the pan to create an even, thin layer.
- Let cook for 3 minutes or until bubbles form. Flip and let cook for additional 2 minutes.
- See here for how to perfectly roast garlic.
- Whisk dill, roasted garlic, lemon, salt & pepper into yogurt. Set aside.
- Slice onion into thin slices.
- Sauté in 2 tsp olive oil on low-medium heat until caramelized while crepes are cooking. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- When onions are almost finished, add in kale and cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Cook lentils according to package directions. (We typically cook a large batch and store in the refrigerator for use throughout the week.)
- Top crepe with onion, kale, lentils, a few slices of avocado and dill yogurt sauce.
- Enjoy open-faced, folded over, or rolled up.
This post is sponsored by Love Beets. All opinions expressed are our own.